The Outgrower and Value Chain Fund (OVCF) in Ghana is a refinancing vehicle for providing finance for medium and long-term investments along various agricultural value chains through the local banking sector. It is designed to fill a gap of medium- and long-term funding in the agricultural financing space.
The project’s overall goal is to improve the incomes of small-scale farmers, upgrade the competitiveness of small commercial farmers and their agricultural business partners (processors, etc.) in their respective markets and thereby contribute towards rural growth and poverty reduction.
OVCF is a development project of the Republic of Ghana co-financed by the Federal Republic of Germany through KfW.
The project is supported by a consortium of IPC (lead consultant), CIDR Pamiga and OA&A. OVCF’s daily operations are conducted by the Fund Management Team (FMT). The Fund’s secretariat is based in Accra.
To complete the FMT, we are looking for a Full-time Agronomist.
The Agronomist’s responsibilities require extensive travelling, interaction with and assessment of participating outgrower value chain schemes throughout Ghana, including:
owning process design and up-keep of the Operational Manual regarding the agronomist’s domain
assessing the technical feasibility of credit applications submitted by partner financial institutions
making recommendations towards lending decisions based on her/his assessment of technical and agronomic aspects of a scheme
reviewing and recommending possibility of improvements making schemes technically feasible and hence eligible for funding for originally rejected credit applications
supporting the Fund’s Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist in follow up and evaluation of running schemes
supporting the Fund’s Environmental and Social Management Specialist in implementation, follow up and impact evaluation
providing ongoing support to Technical Operators and Outgrowers (capacity building, best practice, ESMS, risk management)
- Minimum academic qualification Master’s Degree in Agronomy/ Crop Sciences/ Agroforestry or related discipline
- Minimum 15 years relevant post-graduate working experience in agronomy or related agri-business Practical understanding and experience in enterprise development, esp. in the horticultural, tree crops, annuals, root and rhizome crops
- Highly skilled in conducting value chain analyses of agricultural product lines including developing of crop/activity calendars, crop/activity budgets, gross margins and cash flows
- Expertise in capacity building through on-farm good agricultural practices (GAP) training for smallholder farmers
- International experience in Africa
- Readiness to travel throughout Ghana observing COVID-19 protocols
- Experience in monitoring installed E&S standards at farmers and off-takers levels will be a plus
- Experience in donor funding project(s) will be a plus
The position is full-time from the earliest possible starting date. If you are interested in joining the FMT, please send your resume and list of three reference persons, stating your earliest possible starting date with the subject: "Agronomist OVCF Ghana" by June 11, 2021 via email to
IPC - Internationale Projekt Consult GmbH
Ms Simone Schwarz
Voltastraße 31 - 33
60486 Frankfurt am Main
Source: Agriculture in Africa Media | Email: Editor@agricinafrica.com